- Clark-Perry D, Levin L. Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled studies comparing oscillating-rotating and other powered toothbrushes. J Am Dent Assoc. 2020 Apr;151(4):265-275.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.adaj.2019.12.012. Epub 2020 Feb 26. PMID: 32111341.
- Ayad F, Petrone DM, Wachs GN, Mateo LR, Chaknis P, Panagakos F. Comparative efficacy of a specially engineered sonic powered toothbrush with unique sensing and control technologies to two commercially available power toothbrushes on established plaque and gingivitis. J Clin Dent. 2012;23 Spec No A:A5-10. PMID: 23448082.
- Klukowska M, Grender JM, Conde E, Goyal CR. A 12-week clinical comparison of an oscillating-rotating power brush versus a marketed sonic brush with self-adjusting technology in reducing plaque and gingivitis. J Clin Dent. 2013;24(2):55-61. PMID: 24282870.
- Socransky SS, Haffajee AD, Cugini MA, Smith C, Kent RL Jr. Microbial complexes in subgingival plaque. J Clin Periodontol. 1998 Feb;25(2):134-44. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051x.1998.tb02419.x. PMID: 9495612.
- Jepsen S, Blanco J, Buchalla W, Carvalho JC, Dietrich T, Dörfer C, Eaton KA, Figuero E, Frencken JE, Graziani F, Higham SM, Kocher T, Maltz M, Ortiz-Vigon A, Schmoeckel J, Sculean A, Tenuta LM, van der Veen MH, Machiulskiene V. Prevention and control of dental caries and periodontal diseases at individual and population level: consensus report of group 3 of joint EFP/ORCA workshop on the boundaries between caries and periodontal diseases. J Clin Periodontol. 2017 Mar;44 Suppl 18:S85-S93. doi: 10.1111/jcpe.12687. PMID: 28266120.
This episode features Dr. Liran Levin, DMD. In this lesson Dr. Levin will answer some of the following questions: What does the literature have to say about which powered toothbrush is most effective? The oscillating-rotating type or sonic action? How should implants be prioritized in a treatment plan? Do they enjoy equal footing with a natural tooth? Dr. Liran Levin presents his research on these topics! He will go in depth about his peer-reviewed article: “Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled studies comparing oscillating-rotating and other powered toothbrushes.”
- Develop an appreciation for the importance of educating patients on good homecare practices
- Learn how to better integrate oral hygiene instructions into a patient’s treatment plan
- Techniques for motivating patients to improve oral hygiene
- Learn of the difference between a systematic review and metaanalysis
- Compare and contrast the efficacy of powered toothbrushes vs a manual toothbrush
- Lesson Length: 45 min
- CE credit: 0.75 hours
- Release Date: 4/20/20
- Review Date: 11/15/20
- Expiration Date: 11/15/23