- Yarows SA, Vornovitsky O, Eber RM, Bisognano JD, Basile J. Canceling dental procedures due to elevated blood pressure: Is it appropriate? J Am Dent Assoc. 2020 Apr;151(4):239-244. doi: 10.1016/j.adaj.2019.12.010. Epub 2020 Feb 14. PMID: 32067694.
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, Cushman WC, Green LA, Izzo JL Jr, Jones DW, Materson BJ, Oparil S, Wright JT Jr, Roccella EJ; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure; National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: the JNC 7 report. JAMA. 2003 May 21;289(19):2560-72. doi: 10.1001/jama.289.19.2560. Epub 2003 May 14. Erratum in: JAMA. 2003 Jul 9;290(2):197. PMID: 12748199.
- Bavitz JB. Dental management of patients with hypertension. Dent Clin North Am. 2006 Oct;50(4):547-62, vi. doi: 10.1016/j.cden.2006.06.003. PMID: 17000273.
- Yarows, Steven A. "How to measure blood pressure in primary care offices to assure accuracy while maintaining efficiency." The Journal of Clinical Hypertension 19.12 (2017): 1386-1387
This lesson features Dr. Steven Yarows, MD, FACP, FASH. He will present his findings in his recent article entitled “Canceling Dental Procedures Due to Elevated Blood Pressure” which was published in the Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA). Dr. Yarows will provide an evidence-based rationale for how to approach a patient’s elevated blood pressure (BP). He will also challenge the existing concept of canceling a patient’s appointment due to elevated BP. Finally, he will discuss proper ways to measure a patient’s blood pressure.
- Develop an awareness for the burden canceling a dental procedure due to elevated blood pressure places on the patient
- Identify improper ways in which blood pressure is being measured in dental offices
- Understand how blood pressure should properly be measured
- Lesson Length: 36 min
- CE credit: 0.5 hours
- Release Date: 4/13/20
- Review Date: 11/15/20
- Expiration Date: 11/15/23
← Previous Lesson